Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Control ALT Delete

To my utter dismay the Alt-right are planning on staging a rally in Vancouver on Saturday. (and several other large cities) 

Emboldened by the events south of the 49th parallel and their moronic El-Presidente the alt-right is making a move here.

I am not new to activism, obviously, having been brought up on anti-apartheid campaigns and marches and sit-ins and hunger-strikes.  

I have been to my share of social justice marches and events in Canada.  

Not all of them have been peaceful (even here the great north) and I have personally encountered corrupt police during my arrest along with dozens of protesting university students and faculty.  I was booked, charged and released on bail (paid by the university for all students) and the charges were later dropped. 

Suffice to say when the cause is one I believe in deeply I am bold and fierce in saying and doing my piece.

But this one....this so-called counter-protest against the alt-right, anti-muslim, anti-immigration, anti-anything not white gave me pause.

Anyone who has seen the footage of Charlottesville USA last weekend would surely have felt a chill at the sinister lines of white men and torches and the evil that left their mouths. 

It is surely one thing to watch it on a FB video or TV but am I ready to face them literally? 

And how can I know how I will react?

Will I let my fear shout out my anger?  
Or will I be able to use my white privilege to stand in solidarity with those not born to that privilege and show love in the face of evil and hatred?

The latter being what the best me wants to do.  Needs to do as a human being on this planet at this time.  Needs to do to be true to myself and my faith.  

No matter my fears, my concerns for my safety and the safety of all those who will be there (alt left and alt right), my fears about mob mentality and how fast things can get out of hand.... I will be at Vancouver City Hall on Saturday and I will leave my shouty voice at home and I will show love in any way I can because this kind of hatred and division is not ok and on my watch I will not stand idly by and shrug my shoulders.

I will stand for love and peace and tolerance and diversity - with and for my neighbours.

If that makes me ALT-Left - well then ALT-left I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...