Tuesday, March 7, 2017

March 8th


March 8th is an important international day.


One I had not really known about until I was enlightened by some of the wonderful women who I work with.


March 8th is International Women's Day.

A global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.

It is certainly under-celebrated here in Canada.

But since I have been aware of this day and how big it is in other countries, and how important that is to women who have come from there to here, I have tried to remember to mark it. 

>As a woman leader of an organisation of all women it is never lost on me how special their work is for our children and families but so many of them carry incredible stories of immigration and restarting life in a new place, a new culture, a new language, helping their families make the transition.  Many of them starting new careers and adapting to a totally new way of life. Their stories are humbling.  As are those of the Canadian-born women who work with me who all carry stories of struggle and pain and self-doubt at times but work everyday to make the children's childhood count.  

All these women come to this work with passion and commitment and a dedication and attitude that is often staggering as I often know what load they just walked out of their homes still carrying.  Most days they find a way to set those loads down for a while and they focus on the children, on their work, on the extraordinary moments that we are witness to everyday.   They push themselves to learn more, do more, be more so the little people they invest in will grow up strong and capable and curious.

So there are 50 red roses in my kitchen and I have the immense privilege of delivering them tomorrow to some extraordinary Early Childhood Educators who embody the slogan for IWD 2017 #beBOLDforChange
.

Happy International Women's Day 2017 #TeamSRCC

No post about amazing women would be complete without my deep gratitude for ALL the amazing women in my life who light my way, listen to my words and my heart, who inspire me, challenge me, laugh with me and make me proud to know them. 

My one and only tattoo says one word - Ohana - my people, my tribe.... today I celebrate the women in my tribe.  Thank you ALL you make my life rich.

I lift you up and wish you find the BOLDNESS to be the CHANGE you need, the world needs. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...