Sunday, May 18, 2014

'Tis the Season

of the .... Back Yard BBQ.......

Just to prove my point from my previous post- after a lovely day it started to spit rain just as we sat down to our BBQ.....but like true Canadians we toughed it out and although fleece blankets were employed we did manage to eat outside....... on the May Long weekend.

And today is sunny but breezy....it's like Canada was offended by my post and it letting me have it.

No problemo Canadude...... scare me with the sun..... I can take it.

But I digress.

Sometimes the several month of BBQ weather we have (for some of us that is any day there isn't 2 feet of snow on the actual BBQ) the rounds of chicken, steak, hamburgers, hotdogs (not us) etc can get ..... well... boring.

Last night we tapped our inner German and for the second time we had a sausage and beer fest BBQ.

Ingredients:

Outdoor dining no matter the weather.


Sausages - now we did get ours at whole foods (organic, no filler, happy sausages) also not cheap but more than fed 4 of us for $22.  We got 2 each of chicken chorizo, pork apple sage, pork bratwurst and beef garlic.  Once cooked I chopped them into chunks and everyone had what they wanted.


Good mustard - a variety to try and to pair with the different sausages.


Spaetzel - On a whim I decided to cook Spaetzel having tried it in Frankfurt earlier this year and enjoyed it. Its a noodley thing you boil and then pan fry the cooked noodles in butter and nutmeg.  It was good but could have used the mushroom gravy it is most often served with.



German beer - our local liquor store offered a few German and Belgian beers - I love Hofbrau - perfect with the meal.


Grilled Veggies with garlic. lemon, thyme butter - because......well..... just because.


I somehow missed any photos of the rustic pear crostata Allan and Lindsay made!!  More Italian than German but delightful.  With vanilla ice cream.

We finished out the night with an chewy ciabatta and three small cuts of cheese (gouda, aged cheddar and goat) served with Port.



There you go - I am sure Pinterest has a bazillion better ideas but I am not on Pinterest......Happy Grilling!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely meal to celebrate the sunny weekend! Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...