Monday, July 22, 2013

Inevitable

You know in a relationship, in the beginning, the heady rush of love and discovery.....the delight in every moment...the deliciousness of each encounter.....

And then inevitably there is THAT moment when the first chink appears - when you see something you don't like or didn't expect.

The gentle (or not) awakening that this is not perfection after all.

This was that moment for me......
It wasn't it's fault.....it was mine.......I thought I was ready to commit.....but no.....no ......I am not.

Two foodie friends called to suggest lunch.  I jumped in.....of course......I almost said anything but "Hot Pot" but I didn't want to be "that" whiny white girl......

And then we pulled up at the Hot Pot restaurant.

My armpits got sweaty.

I smiled, I mildly joked about my hesitance but overrode even my own doubts..... I can do this..... it will be great... I have loved all other Asian food until now.....lets go I bravely said.....blinded by love.....

Just the smell in the restaurant was hard to cope with...... I was in serious trouble.....in too deep......no escape.

I wanted to jump up and run next door to my favourite Vietnamese place....a happy safe place....I seriously considered bolting.....but I didn't want to be that person....who leaves after the first disappointment......so I ploughed through.

It.was.tough.going.

I ate as little as possible.  

I have never been so happy for a meal to be over.

I was sweaty and stinky and stressed.

And I was mad at Asian Food for getting the best of me...... darn it!!  I thought I had this Asian eating thing down but alas I had been caught a fool!

So when those same two foodies called again last week for lunch......I said sure!  BUT ........

They agreed - it would be white girl friendly!

And so it was - it was delicious!! Who doesn't love a bit of deep fried dough to start a meal?  Meet the Chinese donut....... I mean it....go.and.find.one.....now!


And the rest was awesome - peanutty, silky noodles, skinny spicy noodles, comforting congee........ YUM!


I AM BACK.....people.........I was not jilted ....... it was just a bump in the road in my relationship with Asian food...... Hot Pot is out-of- bounds for now but it turns out there is so much more to discover!

To my two foodie friends - thanks for hanging in there with me......where to next?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...