Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Editing

Editing is the process of selecting and preparing media used to convey information through the processes of correction, condensation, organization, and other modifications performed with an intention of producing a correct, consistent, accurate, and complete work. (Wikipedia - groan)
One of the things I have learned to do better over the last 16 months is edit.  Writing a blog is a balance between sharing and over-sharing....it's a fine balance and as a classic over-sharer I am often challenged to edit the blog back to a more manageable share load.  Some of you may think I still have a lot to learn so be comforted that I am working on it!!

I have had this thought in my head these last few crazy busy weeks and facing a couple more crazy ones ahead....that when life gets busy I tend to edit......my life.   I look for the extraneous meetings, commitments, tasks, errands, phone calls and I either edit them out completely or at least edit them to a point that my life doesn't seem so busy, so overwhelming.

I think it is telling what I edit first. 

My stuff.

No scrap booking, no photo trips, no river drives, no calorie counting, no Jazzercise, no dinners with friends.

I know I am the Editor and I choose what to edit. 

I also know that editing these things is stupid.

I thought I had learned my lesson when I sat in my therapists office a few years ago and he asked "What do you do to fill you up, what gives you pleasure, what things do you do just for you?"  I remember my initial confusion at the questions..."What kind of therapy mumbo jumbo is this?" and then the slow awakening, followed quickly by the embarrassment and then mild anger, that I had no answer.....literally.

So I have worked to cultivate some of these things in my life and I guess what I realise is that, even when life gets a little hairy, I need to hang on to some of my stuff. 

I went to Jazzercise last night.......and it was so good to get back, to workout hard (oh my aching glutes - classic over-share) and to feel my body responding.  No more editing my exercise. or calorie counting.......I am expecting much of this body and I need to keep it moving.

Now to get back to some of the other things that landed on the cutting room floor.....just a soon as I file my taxes........

One day I will be a correct, consistent, accurate, and complete work!

What have you edited out of you life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...