Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The picture you paint yourself

that summer feeling is here....... I feel owed......it felt like it would never come (although interestingly I read yesterday that the weather in June was average with less rain but also less sunlight). And while I survey all things summer.....from my office window........ I feel a little cheated to be here working.

My kids are both on vacation and Lindsay is checking off things she needs for camp.  She leaves early Saturday morning for a week.  David is still in Alaska, halibut fishing today in Kachemak Bay. He will be home Friday...... Yahoo!!  Allan is working part-time teaching virtual school for the next 6 weeks but his days start later and he has some downtime.  But for me, this week, at least I am way too busy. 

This does not match the picture I have in my head about Summer.

The picture in my head also has no basis in reality...... it is a summer daydream........

In my head I go to a faded shingled but big and beautiful beach house on a beautiful flat white sandy beach in a place with a whimsical name like Nantucket or Noosa or Zanzibar.......the water is calm and clear and warm (but not too warm) the breezes are gentle and cooling..... I have no responsibilities...... I read and eat and drink and swim and nap and hang out with my family.  Friends come and go and we have bbq's and fire pits with smores long into perfect sunset evenings.....I read, listen to music, have long walks and great conversations..... take photos......just sit and stare at the ocean......



Do you feel it.....????


I think I would last about 5 days before I was scanning the internet looking for adventures.... or road trips or planning a big party..... the reality is .... I am vacationally challenged.  I am not good at slowing down and even less able to do nothing........ for any length of time........ don't get me wrong I love a good nap and good lie on the each with a book but I am talking hours , not days and days.

So although I do complain I am actually looking forward to this Summer's Staycation in August........ I  will sleep in a bit (although the joke my age is playing on me is that now that I can sleep in I often don't ), have coffee on my patio, go to new shops and visit new places to eat and walk along beaches close to home.....have family picnic suppers..... and maybe nap...... and hang out with Allan and the kids....... and do some projects around the house.....maybe scrapbook and do some photography....maybe a little roadtrip......a little shopping (Hello TJ's)..... have coffee with friends.... 








See.... my reality is actually better than my daydream.....nice when that happens :)

Hello Summer........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...