Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lynchpin

I was chatting with a friend recently about being the lynchpin in an organisation.  In my case my Board describes me as the biggest strength and the biggest weakness of the organisation because so much of the
work of the organisation is in my head, driven by me, managed by me etc... that if I was to leave there would be a large gap of knowledge in the organisation. 
 We are working of rectifying this situation by hiring me an Executive Assistant (Hallelujah!).


 The two definitions of lynchpin (which had multiple spellings) are:

lynchpin - a central cohesive source of support and stability

linchpin - pin inserted through an axletree to hold a wheel on


I found this fascinating - one is more abstract or relational and the other is an actual thing but in both cases without "it" things fall apart.

Today I am much more focussed on my role as co-lynchpin in my family.  I leave tomorrow to travel with my Mom to Anchorage Alaska to visit my sister Jill and her family (husband Russell and their 6 kids).  I am, of course, excited to be travelling to a new place (even if its not Disneyland or Hawaii ;0) and to meet a niece and nephew I haven't met yet and to re-connect with my only sibling.  I am looking forward to having some time with my Mom and some down time for me (we are staying at a B&B close to the family to give us all some space).

But all this means I am leaving my family for a week.  A very busy week. OK so every week is busy in our house but this is a big week for Allan with some big decisions to make about the Robotics trip to Orlando and another big Robotics competition next weekend (and report cards etc.) and 50% of his team will be away so he is on driving, cooking, laundry, homework supervision full time.  I know he is fully up to it, it will just be hard work. The kids are great about pitching in and doing their stuff around the house and I have tried to arrange others to do my driving duties so things run as smoothly as possible.

I think its the emotional part that's harder to replace..... both the kids (and Allan if he's honest) are worried about missing me and not having that "go-to" person to confide in, snuggle with, make decisions with, hug on after a hard day....  It's given me pause to reflect on the role I play emotionally in my family.

I will miss my guys alot alot.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...