Thursday, January 6, 2011

Teaching

For the last 3 or 4 years I have taught in the Continuing education program at local Colleges.  I have taught 2 classes:
Math/Science/Social Studies in ECE 
and
The Learning Child
for the Early Childhood Education Course.

I started teaching as a challenge to myself (I have a degree in Social Science and have worked as a Social Worker in the in the past).  Most of my professional work has been in administration in Early Childhood Services of one kind or another from rural farm school in South Africa to the lovely purpose built centres in Richmond BC.


It is also great to have some additional income that can be earned in a way that is easy on my family.
What an experience it has been!
1. It is/was WAY more work than I anticipated - the preparation time doubled the teaching time in the beginning and then the marking and dealing with students issues etc...  Now that I am teaching the same courses for the 4th of 5th time I am managing the preparation better and the material is more familiar.
Last night I actually taught almost seemlessly - I didn't have to rely on my detailed (over detailed / timed outline) or even the handout - I know this stuff.... It was a GOOD feeling.

2. It helps me stay current with the latest research in the field and I bring that back to my regular work.

3. Its also great to get that spark of passion back - after a tedious day of dealing with issues, building issues, accounting issues, staffing issues - it's so easy to lose sight of the big picture and of the passion for this work that hooked me so many years ago.

I came home energized and I came to work today feeling re-connected to the core of this work, doing my part in providing the very best early childhood environment and experiences for young children and a strong support system for their parents.

It feels good to be helping to shape the next group of Early Childhood Educators who will do this important work.

                             
"Let us take care of the children... for they have a long way to go.
Let us take care of the elders..... for they have come a long way.
And let us take care of the ones in between....for they are doing the work"
Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...